Caregiver Tips: Lighten Your Load of Holiday Stress
For the average person, the holiday season can be a joyous, but stressful time of the year. For the caregiver of an elderly loved one, the added responsibilities and planning can be overwhelming. Check out the following tips for keeping you at your best this holiday season and ensure that stress doesn’t hinder the quality of care you provide:
- Anticipate the additional stress. It’s been said that the best offense is a strong defense – an adage that adequately describes how caregivers should tackle their care responsibilities during the holidays. If you know you are going to have a hectic few weeks, set a plan in place to avoid putting too much on your plate at one time.
- Make a schedule. Write out a list of every task that needs to be done. This will show you which tasks can only be handled personally, and which ones might better be left in the hands of a friend, family or even a professional in-home Cincinnati caregiver. Additionally, you will be able to see which tasks are lower on the priority list.
- Take care of your health. Caregivers have a habit of putting others before themselves. Unfortunately, this sometimes happens at the caregiver’s own expense. While neglecting personal health and care needs is bad during any time of year, it can be especially damaging during the holidays. You are no good to anyone if your own needs aren’t being met. Make sure you’re getting adequate amounts of food, water and rest.
- Take some “me” time. Though your schedule may be packed, it is imperative that you make time for your mental and emotional health. Whether it’s reading a book or drinking a cup of coffee, give yourself time to relax. While a few minutes a day can make all the difference, don’t be afraid to take respite for longer. With the help of an hourly caregiver in Cincinnati, you can enjoy peace of mind that your loved one is in professional and caring hands and you can take the break you need and deserve.
- Be flexible. Don’t go over the top with the decorating, shopping and cooking. Stick to the traditions that mean the most to you, and be flexible with some of the one’s that aren’t as important.
For more information about at-home care in Cincinnati, reach out to Home Care Assistance today. We are a trusted and leading provider of in-home care, offering flexible hourly and live-in care schedules. With our expertly trained caregivers and compassionate Care Managers by your side, you won’t just survive this holiday season, you’ll enjoy it with a renewed sense of peace and comfort.