5 Caregiver Resolutions: A To-Do List for the New Year
Well it’s that time of year again. Throughout the holiday craziness and chaos, people are starting to look ahead to next year to decide what they want to do differently. If you are a caregiver, check out our favorite caregiver resolutions that can help make your caregiving responsibilities fun and stress-free in 2015.
- Make Positive Memories with Your Loved One – Since the day-to-day stress of care giving can be exhausting, it is important to consciously make positive memories with your parents. They aren’t going to be around forever, and you want to look back on this time with fondness. Make sure your children have good memories with their grandparents as well. Try to plan at least one activity a month that the entire family can enjoy such as going on a picnic or attending a play.
- Create Time for Your Hobbies – Every caregiver needs a little “me” time. If you don’t have time set aside each week for your own hobbies and activities, ask family and friends to help out, or consider assistance from a professional and reliable Cincinnati hourly caregiver. During your time away, take an art class, join a yoga studio, or become a member of a nature group. Find a way to do your thing, whatever that thing is, on a regular basis.
- Focus on Eating Healthier – This is an oldie, but a goodie. Focusing on improving the food in your home will be beneficial for both you and your parent or loved one. Cook more, choose fresh vegetables instead of canned, and try new recipes. You can even encourage your aging parent or loved one to suggest some new meals to make the process all inclusive.
- Find a Group for Your Loved One – Your loved one needs some time away from you as much as you sometimes need time away for them. Find a senior or community center where they can spend some time. A lot of places do weekly lunches or meetings. Find something in your area that your parent can enjoy. It will give you both a break.
- Get Paperwork in Order – This year, make sure you have all your parent or loved one’s documents and paperwork in order. It can be a headache, but spending time on it can help you avoid a lot of problems later on. Find a system that works for you and get it done.
For more information about caregiver resolutions, reach out to the in-home care experts at Home Care Assistance. We are one of the top Cincinnati home care agencies and have a team of highly trained and compassionate caregivers available for help 24/7. Reach out to a Care Manager today at 513-891-2273 and learn how we can help you make 2015 the best year yet!