Most aging adults are eager to maintain as much of their independence for as long as possible. Whether your loved one is adamant about never entering a senior living facility or is currently staying with you in your home, having the right technology on hand can greatly increase everyone’s peace of mind. In fact, there are a number of technological tools that can be used to promote safety at home for an aging parent or loved one including:
- Smart Appliances – Installing smart appliances in the home is a great way to avoid fires. These appliances will shut themselves off after high temperatures have been reached, even if there is no one currently in the home. Temperature overrides and shut-off features can be found in a number of innovative oven designs, kitchen appliances and irons.
- Fall Detection Sensors – When providing care for an aging parent in Cincinnati, falls and trips are a major concern. Fall detection sensors can be worn by seniors throughout the day so that family members and emergency response teams can be promptly notified of accidents. These devices are generally low in cost, as are the monthly fees for the related monitoring services. They track factors such as user orientation, sway and surface impact.
- Health Sensors – Much like fall detection sensors, these devices can notify others of possible harm. They can also track blood pressure and blood oxygen saturation levels, lung sounds and heart rate which can be beneficial for seniors who are closely monitoring their vitals or those diagnosed with diabetes.
- Smartphones and Tablets – With features like automatic voice dialing and one-touch emergency calls, these devices have become essential for aging adults. In addition to improving accessibility and connectivity, they can also provide an array of health benefits. Seniors can use apps to track nutrition and exercise programs, manage their medications and so much more. They even provide access to an array of exciting video games which are great for promoting cognitive functioning.
- Medication Dispensers – Whether your loved one has a few or multiple medications, a mediation dispenser can be a great tool to help promote safety and prevent medication mix-ups or mistakes. The dispenser is an electronic device that uses alerts to inform the user when to take their medication and it will only disperse the pills that are necessary. When doses are missed, these units can notify the appropriate contact such as a family member or in-home caregiver.
Technology is constantly changing and is providing seniors with ample options for gadgets that can help promote safety, independence and quality of life. If you are concerned about an aging parent or loved one living at home and feel additional supervision is required outside of the above technological gadgets, contact Home Care Assistance of Cincinnati. We provide Cincinnati hourly home care as well as 24 hour care and monitoring with no long-term contracts or commitments required. Call us today at 513-891-2273 to schedule a free in-home consultation and learn more about our exceptional care services and highly trained and compassionate caregivers.