January is National Oatmeal Month. Starting your loved one’s day off with a great oatmeal breakfast is a great way to begin each day. There is no need to stop at breakfast, however, as oatmeal is great throughout the day. Eating oatmeal can help keep blood sugar under control, reduce blood pressure and lower bad cholesterol. Below are a few heart-healthy oatmeal recipes live-in Cincinnati care professionals recommend for seniors.
Cut Oat Risotto
5 1/2 cups vegetable stock
2 tablespoons butter
1/2 teaspoon salt
8 ounces white mushrooms
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/3 teaspoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon ground dried sage
1/4 cup water
1 cup steel cut Irish oatmeal
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1. Thinly slice the white and light green parts of the leek.
2. Heat the stock in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer.
3. Melt butter in a large skillet. Add leeks and cook for two minutes.
4. Add mushrooms and spices. Cook for eight minutes.
5. Add water.
6. Add oatmeal. Reduce heat and cook for one more minute stirring constantly.
7. Slowly add stock waiting until it is absorbed. Stir constantly to make sure that the mixture does not stick.
8. Cook for 25 minutes stirring frequently.
9. Remove from heat and stir in cheese.
10. Scoop into bowls and enjoy.
Skillet oatmeal is a great way to start the day. Since it goes together very fast, you will have plenty of time to do other tasks in the morning. Your senior will love this creamy oatmeal.
1 overripe banana
2 cups old-fashioned oatmeal
3 ½ cups water
1. Mash the banana.
2. Add the water to the banana.
3. Put the mixture in a skillet and cook for one minute.
4. Add the oatmeal and cook until the desired consistency.
Encourage your loved one to eat these and other healthy oatmeal recipes this month with help from Home Care Assistance. We provide flexible live-in and hourly elder care Cincinnati seniors rely on to help them age in place while boosting overall wellbeing. Call 513.891.2273 today to learn more about our comprehensive services and set up a free consultation.